Aluminium Indium Phosphide Ionisation Coefficients
The figure shows the impact ionization coefficients for the III-V ternary semiconductor material, Aluminium Indium Phosphide (AlInP), as a function of inverse electric field at room temperature. These ionization coefficients were obtained from photomultiplication measurements undertaken on a range of PIN and NIP diodes of different avalanching widths.
The electron (hole) ionization coefficients, α (β) plotted in the diagrams above can be expressed as
where F is electric field strength. The constants A, B and c are tabulated as below.
|F (kV/cm)||Coefficient Type||A (x105 cm-1)||B(x105 cm-1)||c|
α(β) can be can be used in simple analytical expressions to determine the avalanche multiplication (or gain) and the breakdown voltage. In thin avalanching structures, α(β) overestimate the multiplication as they ignore "dead-space" effects. They also cannot accurately predict the excess noise due to the impact ionization process. Models to predict the multiplication and excess noise in thin avalanching structure require knowledge of enabled ionization coefficients, α*(β*).
α*(β*) can be approximated from α(β) using
where Ethe (Ethh) corresponds to the AlInP electron (hole) threshold energy and is given as 4.6 (4.6) eV and 3.2 (2.3). A full description on model which uses α*(β*) (recursive model) is given by Saleh et. al. and the numerical equivalent model (RPL model) is by Ong et. al.
The above data is from Ong et. al.. Details of ionisation coefficients over a wide electric field range can be found in Cheong et. al. for Aluminium Indium Phosphide and other popular semiconductor materials.
- J. S. Cheong, M. M. Hayat, X. Zhou and J. P. R. David, Relating the Experimental Ionization Coefficients in Semiconductors to the Nonlocal Ionization Coefficients, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 62, no. 6 (2015): 1946-1952.
- L. Qiao, J. S. Cheong, J. S. L. Ong, J. S. Ng, A. B. Krysa, J. E. Green, et al., Low multiplication noise thin Al0.6Ga0.4As avalanche photodiodes, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 28, pp. 481-484, 2016.
- M. A. Saleh, M. M. Hayat, P. P. Sotirelis, A. L. Holmes, J. C. Campbell, B. E. A. Saleh, et al., Impact-ionization and noise characteristics of thin III-V avalanche photodiodes, IEEE Transactions onElectron Devices, vol. 48, pp. 2722-2731, 2001.
- D. S. Ong, K. F. Li, G. J. Rees, J. P. R. David, and P. N. Robson, A simple model to determine multiplication and noise in avalanche photodiodes, Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 83, pp. 3426-3428, 1998.
- J. S. L. Ong, J. S. Ng, A. B. Krysa, and J. P. R. David, Impact Ionization Coefficients in Al0.52In0.48P, Semiconductor Science and Technology, 15, no. 6 (2000): 692-699.